Loaded Ladle Summer Research Position
Term: Early June until mid-August (flexible dates)
Wage and hours: 20 hours per week @ $15.90 per hour
About the Loaded Ladle:
The Loaded Ladle is a non-profit open food cooperative based out of the Students’ Union Building at Dalhousie University in K’jipuktuk (Halifax, NS). We operate by students and for students and strive to address injustices within the global food market, particularly in how it affects university campuses and marginalized communities under capitalism.
About the Position:
This position will be a short-term contracted position with the Canadian Summer Student Job program. The successful candidate will work independently on a research paper for an upcoming Food Activism Conference. The particulars of the research paper will be decided on with the successful candidate, but will revolve around university food services across Canada.
The successful candidate should have experience with researching and writing papers and projects and be comfortable and able to work independently. This position will have support and regular meetings from the Loaded Ladle staff and board of directors. There will be an office space in the Dalhousie SUB from which to work, but the successful candidate can conduct work from where they are comfortable.
Other tasks may be worked on if desired by the successful candidate, including: working in community garden plots and assisting in solidarity servings and community events.
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in full time post-secondary studies and have the intention to return to full time post-secondary studies in the fall of 2015
- Under 30 years of age (a requirement of the government grant)
- Experience in and excitement for research
- Self-motivation and the ability to work independently and/or with limited supervision
Skills and Assets:
- an understanding of The Loaded Ladle’s operations, policies, and mandate
- experience in or an understanding of university food services and related student movements and food politics
- experience working within grassroots or student movements, cooperative structures
- an understanding of or desire to learn about anti-oppressive practices
- comfortable reaching out to and engaging with other organizations across the country
The Loaded Ladle has an anti-oppressive hiring policy, which recognizes and welcomes the unique contributions of individuals from diverse backgrounds and abilities. We strive to compensate for structural inequalities that contribute to different people’s skills and experience under capitalism, particularly from marginalized groups including, but not limited to: indigenous people, people of colour, queer and trans people, women, working class people, and people with disabilities.
If you would like to be considered under this policy, please state so in your cover letter. You are welcome, but are definitely not required to specify under which basis you are applying.
How to Apply:
Send your resume, cover letter, and any other materials you would like to email@example.com with the subject “Summer Student Position”. The deadline to apply is May 28th and interviews will take place June 1st – 3rd. We welcome any and all information about you that you feel is important in any format you wish. All applicants will be considered, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.